Thursday, May 22, 2008

Fifteen Seconds of Fame

That's about the amount of time my lovely image was on the screen. That's accumulated time. The longest single moment was around four seconds. Turns out 15 seconds is about as much as the average person can stand anyway. Isn't it interesting that the taping of the shows lasted almost five hours.

Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others.-Sir Winston Churchill


To me it is funny how excited we both became at being on television. Especially since we never watch anything. Honestly, though it is in it's twenty-fifth year I never sat down and actually watched a complete episode of Wheel. Until this week. Now I've been in the room when it was on. My In-laws never miss a night. It's on every time I visit yet I never paid much attention to it.

That's the way it is with many church people when it comes to hearing God's voice. It's on. It's there, plain to hear, we just never pay much attention to it.

A few months ago our pastor challenged us to begin a quiet time with God. And for me that's been hard. Not that I don't want to. It's that I'm having to learn to. I have a very active mind, and it seems to dash off in 360 directions at every given moment. Like I said " sometimes the background noise is deafening".

Last night my wife and I ate our supper quickly, stacked the dishes, closed the drapes ( sorry window treatments) , turned off all other distractions, and got comfortable in our chairs to intently watch and hear what Pat, Vanna and the others said and did.

Fame has also this great drawback, that if we pursue it, we must direct our lives so as to please the fancy of men. -Baruch (Benedict de) Spinoza

I learned another lesson about how to connect with what God is saying. Pick a time, stack the days 'chores ' and put them aside for a moment. Remove yourself from the distractions of daily life, your job, the phone and kids. Get comfortable, tune in and then you can truly hear what God is saying.

Oh BTW even after seeing the game in person, I still couldn't solve the puzzles. I never was good at Hangman either.

1 comment:

Rita Loca said...

What a great lesson you taught us!
It sounds like a fun experience.