Singles Alert :
Tomorrow is Leap Day.
Legend has it that marriage-minded gals can propose to their boyfriends on February 29. And the guys must accept.
The exact origin is somewhat vague. But because February 29th, "leap day" is an unusual event, a lot of folklore and superstition are associated with it. According to folk tradition, on Leap years day women could propose marriage to men. On "The Ladies' Privilege " day the man either had to accept the proposal or pay the refused woman a substantial fee for turning her down. This was later accepted in English Common Law around 1288 by decree by Queen Margaret of Scotland. Not only that but the man risked bad fortune to themselves.
In the U.S. we have the similar Sadie Hawkins Day, where "women can pursue men". It was originated from Al Capp cartoon strip Li'l Abner. No official day is set but most agree it falls on the Saturday closest to November 9. I remember going to a high school dance in honor of that event.
Just remember today is a day where odd events may occur.
What are you planning for this “extra day.” ?
Here are a dozen ideas.
1. Learn one song on the piano. You know you took lessons as a kid. You have always wanted to and it will make you look really cool while hanging out.
2. Make something cool out of paper. Origami skills will come in handy when you baby sit.
3. Ride a horse. I mean, when’s the last time you rode a horse?
4. Read a book.
5. Organize your pictures. You’ve put it off long enough.
6. Make your own personalized T-shirt.
7. Grill up the biggest steak you can find.
8. Memorize the lyrics to “Stairway to Heaven” ..no wait you've already done that.
9. Go for a walk … in that woods but bundle up it's cold.
10. Call your mom and talk she'll love you for it.
11. Take your significant other shopping for no reason.
12. Visit old friends.