Monday, September 15, 2008


I was running the lawn mower today. It takes about three and a half hours to cut my grass. Three and a half hours gives you a lot of time to reflect on things.

One of the things I was thinking was how I wished my yard was basically square with rounded corners. It would be so much easier to cut and maybe I could be done quicker too.

Wouldn’t it be great if life was that way? Big and square with soft rounded corners. No trees nor sidewalks to trim around, no obstacles to avoid.

Life would be easier that way, but would it be good?

I am reminded of that old saying “that which does not kill us serves only to make us stronger”.

Maybe it’s those very obstacles that help us learn the lessons we need to survive and have a sense of satisfaction.

It’s the shape of my lawn it gives it character and makes it unique. It is the same thing in life. I think we need some slightly hard times and I think it is how we get around those obstacles that make us who we are.

Well enough of that. I have cooled off some now. It’s time for me to go back out and commune with nature some more by stooping in the flowerbed and fighting the battle of the weeds.

2 comments:

Rita Loca said...

The battle of the weeds...leads me to another analogy!

Jane said...

hummmm...as I was reading your post, I was thinking, I'm rather round :)

going through the fires and hard stuff of life does make us stronger when we go through it with God. What would we do without Him?!?

Jack "played" in our yard today too. We had planned on more yard work tomorrow, however, the rain may prevent that. Bummer! :)