The Red Baron has been shot down
Schwan Foods the parent company of Red Baron Pizza has decided not to sponsor the Red
Baron Squadron Airshow Team.
Say it ain't so! They have been around the airshow circuit for 28 years, giving outstanding aerobatic performances.
And not only did they fly airshows during the year. They traveled around the country in pairs between shows giving rides and free pizza as ambassadors of the company. I was lucky enough to win one of those rides several years ago. The thrill of an open cockpit Stearman Biplane is something I just can't describe. I watched them at airshows several times. It's not going to be the same without them.
The team is seeking sponsors and hopes to continue. Hope they are successful, because they will be missed.
Facts about the Red Baron Squadron:
1) More than 2,000 formation aerobatic air show performances
2) Flown more than 80,000 passengers
3) Traveled more than six million miles
4) Red Baron pilots fly in formation less than a wingspan apart.
5) The Red Baron Squadron aircraft are fully-restored historic Boeing Stearman biplanes built between 1941 and 1943.