Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Is there no place safe? No refuge? No place of freedom?

I was at the gym the other day and had just stepped out of the shower when I heard a voice. Voices, I mean that is fine, it is a public gym after all. But the part that bothered me was there was only one other person in the locker room.

When I rounded the corner I saw a man standing facing his locker and hanging up his pants. He was there with out a stitch of clothing talking on his cell phone as if he were still at his desk. A business call. He was on the phone with a business contact.... a female no less, while standing in a locker room changing clothing. How important is he?

Call me old fashion, but is there no place left that is cell phone free? At dinner Friday night, Kristie and I felt left out because we were the only diners who didn't make and or receive a phone call. With one young couple, the guy was on his call the entire time they were eating. If I was the girl, I'd be sure to remove his name from my dating list. These days it seems talking to someone on the blower is more important than talking to the person you are with. It's nice to be"in touch" , and I understand multi-tasking, but give me a break. Does anyone just drive somewhere anymore?

Maybe I need to invent phone that rings from time to time even if there is no in coming call. You could just pretend to answer it and become all engrossed in a phony conversation. That'd be nice for people like me who spend less than all day with a cell attached to their ear.

Oh and don't get me started about the BORG looking people with headset devices attached to their skulls.

No comments: