Sunday, March 25, 2007


I spent the entire day today at Greenville in aviation safety class. These were part of my continuing education effort and partly because the study of aircraft accidents are a hobby of mine.

The main class was tought by NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) Vice Chairman Robert Sumwalt . I had met Mr Sumwalt, a former 14,000 hour USAir captain and attended a lecture of his before. We studied the human factors in accidents and recent accidents like the Comair takeoff accident last year at Lexington, Ky. Interestingly we chatted during a class break and he told me he remembered talking with me almost three years ago at a meeting held at BMW, because I had a first edition copy of his book in hand for his autograph.
Another class was by the South Carolina Director of Aviation safety. Where we discussed what can be done to lower the accident further. I learned flying is 18,500 times safer than driving. Also teaching were Dick Hitt the Regions FAA chief, and many more.
I learned a lot and hope to continue my training with the NTSB academy in Washington. No I have no career change in mind. I just enjoy this and believe the more you know the better / safer you'll be.

No comments: