Tuesday, November 13, 2007


We said our goodbye's to the big city and left Halifax for Digby. You have just got to love these names. After gassing-up the rod at near $4.80 a gallon we returned to the rural environs we truly enjoy. Naturally with-in eight miles we were forced to stop at our second Tim Hortons of the day. I had hit the brakes hard earlier when a truck darted in front of me, and unnoticed my cell phone fell to the floor. A few minutes later I missed it and thought I might have dropped it at the gas station. Quickly I exited the hwy into a parking lot of Tim Hortons which seem to be omni present in every city. A quick call to my phone activated the ringer and much to my relief it was quickly recovered from under the seat. Since I was at the store anyway, I had to "refill" my cup of Java.

Finally back on the road for the three hours drive across Nova Scotia, which proved to be more mountainous than I ever expected. But the views were amazing. I never saw sand drifts and serious Alpine mountains co-exist within the same square mile. It was unreal.

Digby is a cute little seaside town. We arrived there with several hours to spare before the Ferry boarded. So we spent some quality time soaking in the atmosphere. Small as it was Digby has a great harbor walk and some quaint little shops. We used nearly two rolls of film there alone. A couple souvenirs bought for the kids and then we were off to the Ferry.

The Digby to Saint John Ferry is massive. It can hold over 600 passengers hundreds of vehicles. The trip is across the open water and takes a little over three hours. We loaded our car like old hands after our other ferry ride. Made our was to the upper deck and found a quite row of airline type seats. The ferry was very lightly loaded with maybe 75-80 passengers and 20-30 vehicles, about half of which were 18 wheel logging trucks.

They have two cafe`s on board and a coffee shop. Also shortly after leaving port they show a first run movie in the theater cabin. But I did not have time for that. Despite the bitter cold, I was up on deck most of the time. I did not want to miss anything.

No comments: