Monday, December 24, 2007


We all sing 'em Know the words by heart. But have we ever really listened to what they say?

I truly heard this one for the first time last week. Such an amazing song of hope. The whole story.

Pay special attention the the blue phrases and the solution in purple.


I HEARD THE BELLS ON CHRISTMAS DAY

(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along th' unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."
Till ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men.


Longfellow wrote this song as a poem on Christmas day 1864 in the midst of the Civil War. He still greiving from the death of his wife and had just received the word of the serious wounding of his son in battle. It is filled with near dispair, yet in the end offers the strong hope because "God is not dead." and the promise that someday there will truly be 'Peace on earth, good will to men"


This old hymn now has special meaning to me . I was moved ! From now on you can be sure I will really be listening to what they say.

Merry Christmas



No comments: