Saturday, May 08, 2010


Last night my wife and I had a great 'date night ', attending a concert by Randall Bramblett. They are trying something new at the Electric City Playhouse. here in town. It was a small solo unplugged show. Just a singer-songwriter, his guitar and his piano. Randall has one of the most soulful voices I ever heard and is an outstanding musician as his hundreds of recording credits testify. But above all he is a poet, writing and singing songs with such expressive and emotional lyrics.

A lot of the almost two hours he played was songs from the new cd "Meantime" his 7th solo work. It is such a laid back easy recording. In the vein of a male Norah Jones. These songs featured just a singer and his piano. Very nice. The cd is a slight departure from his norm but after only one listen I am hooked.

The "room" as Randall refered to it was great with comfortable theater seating in a semi-round high rising layout that designed for the community playhouse productions they normaly hold. The sound was near perfect. It is a very nice place for relaxing music.

Even after a few decades in the business Randall is still a down-to-earth guy. Very open and great to talk with. He even autographed a cd for me.

Walking in the door we were greated by our friends Dan and Mary. I had not thought to inform nor invite them. It never crossed my mind, but as soon as I heard Dan's voice (he spotted me first ) I thought of all the people I know he WOULD be the one most likely to attend. I was glad he didn't miss it. We had a wonderful time. I hope they hold more events like this. I even




Here is a short ( incomplete ) list of people Randall Bramblett has recorded with :

Sea Level
Chuck Leavell
Greg Allman
Levon Helm
Allman Brothers Band
Widespread Panic
Steve Winwood
Traffic
Gov't Mule
Bonnie Raitt
Delbert McClinton
Bonnie Bramlett
Roger Glover
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Cowboy
Elvin Bishop
Goose Creek Symphony
John Hammond
Warren Haynes
Robbie Robertson
Johnny Jenkins
Jerry Joseph
Jan Krist
Francine Reed
Vigilantes of Love
String Cheese Incident
Phoebe Snow
Grateful Dead

No comments: